In 3DS Max Design, a Daylight System can be used to accurately simulate the lighting effects of natural sunlight based on location and time parameters.
To create a Daylight System:
- Choose Create > Lights > Daylight System (or Lighting Analysis > Create > Daylight System).
- In the Daylight System Creation dialog box, click Yes. (This automatically sets default parameters for the system.)
- Click and drag anywhere in the active viewport to set the Compass Rose. This indicates the orientation of the Daylight System.
- In the mental ray Sky dialog box, click Yes. (This automatically creates a sky “environment map”.)
- Click to place the Daylight System icon in the active viewport. Right-click in an empty area of the viewport to complete.
- Click Alt-B to bring up the Viewport Background options. Make sure that Use Environment Background is selected. (Alternatively, you can specify other content for the background.)
- In the Command Panel, under the Create tab, click the Systems button (far right side of tab).
- Set the day and time under the Time area.
- Set the location under the Location area.
Note: You can adjust additional parameters any time by clicking on the Daylight System icon in the active viewport. Parameters are available in the Command Panel under the Modify tab and the Motion tab.